Saturday, August 11, 2012

Slip-sliding away

Last Sunday we decided to take advantage of the summer weather and had an impromptu hot-dog lunch on Cedar Hill.  We brought an entire tote of blow up water toys, and since Dad has a portable air compressor, we were ready to party until the well alarm sounded!  :-)

It never ceases to amaze me... 2012 will forever be the year I look back on as the one where we "rounded the corner."  I can't tell you the number of family parties I've been to in the last 6 years where the only thing I have done is change diapers, feed, or rock fussy babies, chases babies off of stairs or down from furniture, disciplined, said, "No" or packed up everything we'd brought in 30 seconds or less because we were approaching MELT DOWN (both the kids AND me!)  But this year...  we've rounded the corner.  The boys play so nice, they obey, they are kind and helpful and fun to watch.  They don't melt down if they aren't napping by 1, and they take themselves to the bathroom.  Sadly, I've noticed I am not very good at small talk anymore!  After 6 years of pretty much being unable to visit with family/friends at events - this year I can, but sometimes I have to really focus/think about questions to ask!  Is that pathetic or what?  If you're reading this and thinking, "Yeah, I noticed that" I AM SO SORRY!  I will get better, I promise!   

Today is August 11 (I think - give or take, the days really fly by!)  Wayne starts school in just a few weeks, and I feel like now is the time to soak up summer, and these lazy days with the boys.  Today was just great.  They all spent the night at the Scheib's, and I picked them up at 10.  We spent the day at home - cleaning out closets, playing, swimming, assembling new bar stools, feeding the dog/chickens, watering the garden, and doing the laundry.  Just a typical day, and I was able to do all of it, without taking any ibuprofen, or a nap.  The definition of success!  We've got major plans for the next few weeks...  finish cleaning out closets, crabbing, Birch Bay, Edaleen for ice cream, corn on the cob, cutting down a tree, and CAMPING.  Can't wait!


 Grandma was the designated hoop holder.

 WILD MAN.

 Kallen has NO FEAR.

 Does Weston look like Todd here or what???


No comments:

Post a Comment