We met with the doctor this afternoon. We reviewed the results of the x-ray, and while his tonsils are medium and his adenoids are medium sized, the doctor felt that there was still plenty of room for air to pass, without causing a problem. He said that normally when presented with a kid with symptoms like Weston's, he'd just remove the adenoids and tonsils, but because Weston is barely three, he wants confirmation that breathing is absolutely an issue, which can be found in an observation of his sleep. This would also pinpoint if it's a sleep-cycle issue, either caused by a disorder or a development stage. He has referred us to Children's hospital in Seattle, which has the closest pediatric sleep specialist, where we will go and spend the night "sleeping." :-) Weston will be hooked up to machines, etc. and they will monitor what exactly is going on. I'm relieved not to put him through an unnecessary surgery and 10 day recovery, but since it will take a month to get the appointment down there... no short term answers yet.
I did ask if he thought it was just behavioral - if Weston was just stuck in a rut and a mama's boy :-), but he really didn't think so, given the length of time it's gone on, and the fact that he still wakes up, even if I'm in the room with him. He said to do whatever is necessary in the next month to get SOME sleep, i.e. letting him sleep on the floor of our room, etc. and not to let him cry it out, as he believes that something is going on with him, and he needs comfort, etc. So... onwards we go! Part of me hopes that this is all much ado about nothing, but the other part is glad to be going through the motions of ruling things out. I guess I'm meant to keep up the late night prayer sessions a bit longer! :-)
Not fun. :( I hope you get some answers, but in the meantime, lots of coffee!
ReplyDeleteoh and what a hard time of year for you to have to deal with no sleep! I will pray for you my friend! Hang in there mama!
ReplyDelete