Monday, September 5, 2011

Kindergarten Orientation

As I sit here, it's Labor day at 7:25am.  The house is QUIET, not because everyone is sleeping but because Tyler took Wayne and Weston out with Dad and Ryan to go crabbing off of Eliza island.  Wyatt is sleeping.  Before they left, Wayne and I were talking about the plan for today, and then tomorrow.  He likes to know "the plan."  So I told him tomorrow was his first day of Kindergarten, and his response? "Good. I get to go to school without you!  I don't need you anymore!"  LOVELY!  :-)  But the thing is... he is right, in a way.  He is 5 1/2 years old, and perfectly capable of being at school without me all day.  I have taught him so many things in the last 5 1/2 years.  He can go to the bathroom by himself, button his pants, clean his glasses, and put on his own sweatshirt/coat and take it off again.  He can sit at a table and listen, follow directions, and understands routines.  He will make friends, and make others feel welcome, because he is kind and thoughtful.  His teacher will LOVE him, because that's how God made her to be - a kindergarten teacher that loves her students.  He can ride the bus home, and he knows our address and our phone number - just in case.  I refuse to welcome tomorrow with sadness - this is a CELEBRATION!  Our firstborn is entering kindergarten, and is fully prepared and equipped to do that. From here on out - I think this day will serve as a reminder that we are parenting our boys to be men (gulp!).  I am so proud of him, and all that he is.  God made him to be one incredible kid, and I am so blessed to have him for our son!!! 

We went to his orientation this past Wednesday, and had fun being introduced to the classroom and routine, and hanging out with his teacher, Mrs. Venn for awhile.  Mrs. Venn is the best - and the Mom of a friend of mine from school.  She is AWESOME!
 AND she poses for pictures like a pro!
 Wayne, trying out a "first day of school" outfit to see if we liked it... Yup, pretty cute!
 Our kindergartener...  25 1/2 hours left until his first day of school begins.  The countdown is on!

No comments:

Post a Comment