When I was growing up, one of my jobs was doing the dishes, which meant unloading the dishwasher. In a family of 6, that means about 2 loads a day, and I remember spending that time thinking "someday I am going to have kids so they can do MY dishes!"
25 years later.... I am LIVING THE DREAM! :-)
With baby girl Silves deciding she was more comfortable using me as a hammock these past few weeks, a lot of things have been pretty darn uncomfortable for me to do. With her being "transverse breech" there was no concern because of my scheduled c-section, until she decided to lay up against the incision where her three brothers so gracefully entered this world. Let's just say.... OUCH!
Never fear... Wayne was here! This 6 year old boy has been absolutely amazing. The depth of his compassion and empathy is downright dumbfounding for his age. Most of the time I don't even have to ask for his help, he just pitches in. If something falls on the ground, he picks it up. If I finish a glass of water, he brings it to the kitchen for a refill. He has also started doing regular chores, not only without complaint, but with a cheerful heart. What chores does a 6 year old do? For starters.... laundry. He gathers it from upstairs and brings it to the laundry room, where he sorts it and puts the first load in the washer with the soap. He then keeps checking back to see if it's done, so that he can move it to the dryer, and then to a basket. When all of his baskets are done, he tells me, and he hauls them all to the living room where I am told "it's your turn to work!" :-) After I fold and hang the laundry, he brings it all away. AMAZING. But that's not all folks! He unloads the dishes 1-2 times a day, he cleans his room, and sometimes he cleans Weston's room. Not because he made the mess, but because he knows he is helping me out. He vacuums, and he uses Windex to clean the TV's and appliances. He makes his bed, and my bed.
On top of all that.. he is madly in love with his baby sister. He talks to her in my belly, and she kicks and wiggles when he does. He's already got her a present to bring to the hospital, hand-picked because he knows what she's going to need. By God's grace he is growing into an amazing boy, and I am so blessed to be his mom!!!
Good help is hard to get!!! What a kid!! Up his allowance!
ReplyDeleteWhat allowance!?!?
ReplyDelete