Thursday, June 19, 2008

Diaper Derby

First, if the thought of diapers and all things related disgusts you.... STOP READING! This is not going to be the post for you. If you are intrigued, read on.

Diapers. And the stuff that comes in them. NO ONE can prepare a new parent for what this task is going to be like. It sounds so benign, "Change his diaper." And yet, that statement is so loaded, literally! When we first had Wayne, I can remember looking in his diaper and thinking, "That is not poop." Had Tyler pulled a fast one and squirted mustard in there? And then there were seeds in the mustard. And seriously, how many times a day can a nursing newborn fill his pants? I SWEAR he _________ more than he ate! And then there is the issue of me not smelling. I can't smell, in case any of you didn't know. It's a hereditary thing, I was born without. I think it's called anosmia. Anyhow... this has NEVER bothered me in my life, until we had kids. The fact that I can't smell dirty diapers is hard. It means that 20,000 times a day I am "peeking" into their diapers to see what kind of business has been done. I try so hard to be diligent, but on the occasion I miss one, and when I do go to change them, their butt is all red, and I feel TERRIBLE. Poor kids, their mom can't smell, and it's not their fault! Also, this means that I can't smell when the diaper Genie needs to be emptied either, not that it takes very long to fill with two boys in diapers in the house! So if you are ever around our kids or our house, and it smells like doo-doo, tip me off, would you?

Aaaww... The joys of having two kids who are not toilet trained. Wayne's belongs in a toilet. And Weston... each boy goes through about one Costco case a month. I think my diaper purchases alone pay for my executive membership! :-) So, to ease my pain and help me to not feel alone in this diaper changing doo-doo battle, I am proposing a derby. You can email or leave comments with your score, based on the following.

  • 1 pt. doesn't need to be changed, but you change it anyway because you're a good mom.
  • 2pts. Fully loaded #1 (good for you, you were economical/environmentally concious and made sure it was good and full before you changed it!)
  • 3 pts. for a run of the mill #2
  • 4 pts. for a #2 that you somehow coerced/tricked your husband into! (my favorite line is, "I don't smell anything?!?")
  • 5 pts. for a #2 that requires an outfit change, and a box of wipes
  • 7 pts. for a #2 that requires the use of a scissors to cut off the clothing. Hey, a mom's gotta do what a mom's gotta do!

My score for today... 29. I could've had more, but Tyler was working. :0)

3 comments:

  1. I love your blogs, what a hoot! Jerry and I were talking about what a crazy diaper day it was for both kids. Having a 1 month old upped my score considerably. As did Abby having 3 glasses of milk with breakfast and two big glasses of water this afternoon. I came in at a whopping 44 points...and the night is still young!! Ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so funny!! With Drew being potty trained and Kaylee at daycare I think that I will defiantly loose this one. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, my score total won't be too grand. Jaycee is potty trained. Thankfully, neither of my children ever had so much poop I had to cut their clothes off of them! It will be fun to see some of the totals! I thought you had a lot Tanya and then your friend Megan had 44! That's amazing!

    ReplyDelete