Monday, May 18, 2009

Baby Silves #3 Update

I decided it was time to update you all on how things are going with the soon-to-be newest addition to our family. Baby #3 is doing very well. 30 weeks along, and about 9 or so to go! The last time I met with our doctor, he thought that this baby would be smaller than the previous boys, who were 8-5 and 8-1. Time will tell! The heart rate is always in the 150's, same as it was with the boys, but still in the "could be a girl, could be a boy" range as well. My blood pressure's continue to look great, which is a huge blessing. The boys both like to pet the baby, and Weston is especially fascinated by finding my belly button, or what's left of it (I think Wayne taught him to pull up my shirt.) Wayne gives the baby kisses, and "holds" it by giving it a good shake every now and then. He was treating his stuffed dog like a baby the other day, and feeding it his juice like a bottle, and I was thinking, "hey, there might be some hope here!" Then he said that the baby was crying, and so I told him that if babies cry, you shold rock them on the rocking chair. He proceeded to throw the dog on the chair, then jump up and down on top of it. So close, and yet so far away.... In other news, a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I know, I know. With Wayne it was preeclampsia, with Weston it was preterm labor, and now it's gestational diabetes! At least we've moved away from all the "pre's." I failed the one hour glucose test, and have failed the 3 hour test as well. After initially restricting my diet to a very limited number of carbs at very specific times of day, we still couldn't get my morning "fasting" numbers to where they needed to be. Nothing you can do about it, it's your fasting number! Anyhow... I had to start on an evening dose of insulin over a week ago or so. We've been adjusting the dose trying to get that morning number down, so hopefully sometime soon it starts to behave. Everything else is very well controlled with my new diet, so that is great. Of course, as I get further and further along, my body starts ramping up on hormones, which could really start to interfere with my insulin production, but only time will tell, and worse case scenerio is that I'll just have to give myself more shots (they are not as bad as they sound, trust me!) After the baby comes, everything should go back to normal. After meeting with my diabetic doctor and a dietician, they were both really positive after doing a full work up/interview session about my habits, etc. They both felt that this was very much related to the Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome that I have, and that that insulin resistance that accompanies that was just wreaking havoc this pregnancy. They recommended going on a prescription after the baby is done nursing that should really help to "even" me out, which I am all for! The dietician basically said that even though on the whole I ate really good food, no matter what I ate or how much I excercised, I was going to initially need help regulating my blood sugar in order to drop the pounds I need to to get down to where I want to be (3 babies in 3 1/2 years=time for mom to catch up!) She didn't think I should need much excercise beyond chasing the wee ones! (I thought that was funny.) So anyway, that's where we're at. Just thought that since all of you are my faithful readers, you should know! No need to look at me with pitiful eyes asking "how are you doing." I am doing very well, and would much rather have this than bed rest any day of my pregnancy! The funny thing is watching Tyler's face when the needle comes out... he turns white as a sheet! While initially I was pretty worked up about it all, I found such comfort in knowing that my Lord would not give me more to deal with than I could handle, and that since I had to do it all anyway, I might as well buck up and do it well, with a smile on my face. How different my life and approach to everyday would be without my Savior.

2 comments:

  1. Praying for you and baby #3! I know all about needles and giving yourself shots (2 rounds of IVF), and it is not as bad as everyone thinks!
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Tanya, you're amazing! You've forced me to reevaluate the attitude that I would most likely have in your situation.

    ReplyDelete