Sunday, May 24, 2009

Ski-to-Sea

I can't believe it's memorial day weekend again! I was a little disappointed not to have a BBQ here this year, but with the boys being gone, it just didn't happen. However, my mom did surprise me and came by for a good hour or so to watch the festivities. I loved being able to actually talk to her (a rarity the last few weeks with everything going on) and also to be able to sit outside because I had her to help with the boys. They were really, really good too, which was a huge help! Throughout the morning we were watching things from the front room... a few thoughts that come to mind...
  • Too many wannabe's out there,
  • Everson's hippy to hick ratio was turned upside down,
  • where on earth do people get the idea to walk all over someone's lawn, lay on it, and throw their bike down on it?
  • Why can't parents watch their little kids, when they are walking along a busy street! (I fully understand that kids can bolt... I'm talking about walking 30 feet behind a 2 year old on the sidewalk.)
  • People are funny to watch, especially when they are pointing and gesturing at your own house, plants and yard. I mean, do they forget that someone's actually inside the house, and more than likely watching THEM?
  • The boy scouts need to go to bed sooner... They campout at the park and charge a small amount per canoe to "watch" them. From the hoots and screams at 1am, there either was a major canoe thief out there, or some serious shananigans.
  • Not that there's ever a chance of it, but if I ever rode the biking leg of Ski-to-Sea, finished in the top 20, and my teammate wasn't ready for the handoff.... I'd hurt them B-A-D!
  • Does my tailored, tidy, lawn look like a garbage can? Didn't think so.
  • There's something inspiring about watching 400 bikers who've just ridden 18 miles come across their finish line... even a 3 year old has to go get his bike out to be like the big boys!

Here the boys are, enjoying their morning snack from the porch. Both of them sat so nice, and all it took was one evil eye from mom to get them sitting again if they got up! Our view
The cutest biggest boy around... Wayne had to ride his bike... Grandma was trying to teach him to pedal! After awhile, Weston got "contained." Wayne got distracted for quite sometime by all of these "buggies." When I walked over to see, I discovered he'd found an ant hill and had ticked off dozens and dozens of "buggies." Thankfully, they are not the biting kind. This is right in front of our driveway... nice, huh? Some crazy people thought they could call in their iced coffee orders from across the street... Of course, I'm the one who ran in to make them! :-) After a pottie break that was NOT in a 4x4 foot blue cube, they were back on their way again. Wayne was making himself at home... Nose wipe (the towel, that's what Wayne calls it) and blankie in tow!

5 comments:

  1. I love your observations! I'm totally with you on watching your kids on a busy street. It seems like the folks who don't watch very closely are the most mad when something either happens or nearly happens to their kid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks like the boys had a blast watching the action. All of that does make me very glad that we don't get people or traffic anywhere near our house ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a very exciting hand off area. It's just as frustrating for those of us following a team when the hand off doesn't go as it should...missing team player. Thankfully we didn't have that happen this year. We have, however, seen many bikes go flying through the air because of angry road bikers and mountain bikers. Thank you so much for the coffees...and for the potty break! Your bathroom beats those porta-potties any day!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am eternally grateful for the iced latte - ahhh! I was rushing around right until we ran out the door, so I hadn't even had my coffee yet - you are my hero!! :-)

    ReplyDelete