Saturday, June 12, 2010

Park Trip #1 - Lynden

Since our park visitation for this summer goal is FIVE, and it was a beautiful day, and Taylor was along with me to help out, we decided to head to the Lynden Park.   Taylor stayed with the boys first thing in the morning so that I could take Wyatt to his TEDDY study appointment.  We finished up, then raced home to pick up the her and the boys, and then drove to Lynden.  I ran just a few errands, and then we went to Tanya's to pick up Wayne's crocs.  Of course, we couldn't leave Ethan behind, and even though he wouldn't have much time before he had to leave for Preschool, we kidnapped him anyway!

So we pulled into the parking lot, and I told all three VERY eager boys that the only way we were going to the park was if they stood and smiled nice for a picture.  Their response was SO typical.  Weston was generally oblivious, Ethan obliged and smiled nicely, and Wayne began arguing his case for why they had to go to the park NOW.  Then he told me, "That's enough mom, you have enough pictures."  I love how he talks with his hands to get his point across!
 

"Really mom?  More pictures?  I said that's ENOUGH!" 
Good little Wyatt, he was just happy to be along for the ride!  Sometimes when I look at him lately, I think he resembles Paige!

I realized after we got home...  I had VERY FEW pictures of Weston.  He's just moving so fast these days, he's hard to capture on film! (or digital film, whatever!)

After Ethan had to leave for preschool, I thought it was a good time to head down to the water for lunch.  Why by the water you ask?  Because me in all my genius forgot that this was the last week of school and I failed to predict that every class in the county (or so it seemed) would be taking a field trip to the park!  The place was CRAWLING with kiddos.  However, they had all been threatened within an inch of their lives not to go by the creek, so it was a perfect place for us to be!  Weston was blocked between us, the water, and the wall.  A natural play pen!

Of course, there were a few kids who didn't listen, and I performed a public service by making sure they didn't drown before someone noticed they were down by the water and inevitably came rushing over, with a beat red face, to retrieve them.  No worries you poor, poor teachers and parent volunteers - I had you covered!

Weston just LOVED the water, and spent a long time throwing rocks in.For Wayne, there was too much to do to sit AND eat, so he had to walk around with his sandwich.
 
It was a remarkably delightful time.  I can remember playing along this creek (my grandparents live very close by) as a kid, and fishing in the annual derby.  The park has changed a lot from the days of the big, tall slide, and the tire tunnel, but it is still a beautiful, natural setting, that is magical in every way.  I am so glad that our kids will have similar memories as they grow up.

2 comments:

  1. I love how thorough you are...I feel like I was there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like bringing childhood memories to mind as Bill, Mark Bouma, and I had many adventures along that creek. Trying to float down the creek with Grandpa Bill's homemade raft was the most fun!

    ReplyDelete