Step One: Have a great example of what a self-sacrificing, fun, Godly man a father should be.

Step 2: Appreciate where he came from.

Step 3: Be a darn cute little kid yourself.
Step 4: Find and marry the most wonderful girl in the whole wide world.
Step 5: Convince her that having a baby would be a good idea.
Step 6: Have a delightful little boy, and call him Wayne, after your own dad who even in his own short life, has influenced yours in so many ways.
Step 8: Love life with those two boys.
Dear Tyler,
I thought I loved you more than I ever could, until we had Wayne. I remember how terrified you were that you would "break" our baby, and you were nervous my entire pregnancy. After Wayne was delivered, we were separated for a short while, me busy in the O.R., and you busy getting Wayne his first bath. I remember worrying that you wouldn't know what to do, or that you would be scared. When I was wheeled into our room, I saw you holding Wayne, like a football in one big, manly hand, and I saw your other hand directing traffic, putting things away, and getting situated. What on earth had happened to you in the 20 minutes we were apart? That was when you REALLY became a Dad. You were scared, nervous, excited, and dozens of other things, but none of it mattered because you knew... Your son needed you. I fell in love with you all over again. As we've added boy after boy, that love has only continued to change and grow, in ways that I could never have anticipated and that only God could have planned. Seeing you with our boys, you are one AMAZING Dad. They adore you. I love to see you doing the little things with them, talking to them and teaching them. I know that you appreciate being in every moment of their lives, because you understand what it's like to grow up without a Dad. I am so sorry for that, but I am so grateful that God blessed you with a father who's influence in you surpassed his life here on earth. I hear all the time how much you look and act like him. How can that be? You were 8 when he passed away! Again, God's plan in your life would bring you full circle, to the amazing Dad you are today, with the history and genetics of your own Dad coming through, even now! Again, amazing. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I could not have asked for a better father for our kids, or a man to share my life with. I love you.



Some how you always seems to bring tears to my eyes. I am so proud of my Brother for the husband and father he is. You all are very blessed. Is that first picture my Dad? I have never seen that one before.
ReplyDeleteOh how I love seeing that first picture today! I may need a copy of it. I can't find my copy any where. Thanks for sharing this!
ReplyDeleteTyler...you are so much like dad and I realize that you may not remember a lot about him because you were so young but there are definitely things you do and say that are soooo Dad! You are an amazing Daddy yourself and I love to see you with your boys. Dad would be so proud of you!
Love you! -Your sister