Sunday, August 22, 2010

off to the Fair we went...

...at 9am, and we didn't get back home until 8pm.  A total first for our family since we've started bringing the kids to the fair.  We ALWAYS go home for naps in the afternoon, and then come back again in the evening, but things were going so well, we decided to stick it out.  And they did AMAZING!

We started off by cruising through the chicken and rabbit barns, which have been and continue to be big hits for the boys.  It was strange having Wayne walking, not in a stroller at all, but it seemed right too.  He did really well, listening and sticking close by.  Both he and Weston know that they have to hold the built in handles on the stroller when we are walking, and that helps. 
I think Weston's favorite part of the day was SCREAMING at the geese.  And I do mean ear-piercing, glass breaking, turn-your-head-and-pretend-it's-not-your-child SCREAMING.  That kind of screaming.  But he wasn't mad, he was just happy, and the geese all HAPPILY screamed back at him.  I don't know who was louder, I was too busy running away to notice.
Wayne loved looking at all the Lego displays.  Guess what went on his Christmas list already?
I don't remember ever seeing this reptile exhibit, but it was a major hit with the boys.  I think we went through it 2 or 3 times.  The first time through, we saw a lizard, with it's tale bent in half, and it was licking its' open wound.  It was gross.  Then we saw a sign that said that a fair goer had tried to pick it up the day before, and it was injured.  Later when we came back, it was gone completely, which of course Wayne thought meant that it was dead.  But, the sign told us he was going to be fine, he was just visiting the vet.
Weston thought the tortoise, or whatever they were called, were really neat, and couldn't believe that he could touch it as much as he wanted.
The trip to the Beef Barn to see the Beld's cows is always fun, and they always take the time to let the boys pet/sit on their most docile cow.  Brenna actually placed 2nd in fitting and showing, and got to go on to the grand champion round.  That's pretty impressive!!!!
The boys love the petting zoo area.  Okay, I think it's called the "Small Animal Experience" but you and I both know I don't care about those details.  What I do care about are those poor animals.  They are mauled by children for 6 days, before they are released from their prison time.  I know that a fair bit of their torture was dealt by our two big boys!  They loved holding the cats, rabbits, and petting the cows.  Wayne got to give Squirt the piglet water too, and he told the volunteer "Just like feeding my dog!"  Almost Wayne, almost.  But don't count on us getting a piglet anytime soon!
For lunch we had beef on a bun, zucchini sticks, and curly fries.   Best fair food, ever!!!  At that point the little boys were getting tired (do you like how Weston is sometimes "BIG" and sometimes "little"?) so we decided to divide and conquer.  Tyler took Wayne to go on the rides for awhile, and I took the little boys for a walk to see if I could get them to fall asleep.  We ended up by the grandstands, in time for the afternoon horse show.  Wyatt fell asleep, and Weston was pretty close to it, until the Nooksack Riders came FLYING by.  He was SOOOO excited, and that was it for sleep for him! 
After awhile, Tyler and Wayne joined us, and the boys had a blast watching the horses, cheering them on, and being so close to the action.
Can you see Weston clapping?
With all the noise, Wyatt didn't sleep for long, but he was still happy!
We walked around for awhile, and it started to get warm, so we decided to find a spot in the shade to rest and let the boys run in the grass.  They had other ideas!  I think this was Wayne's favorite part of the fair...  We found two girls who were also taking a break, they were hired as garbage picker-uppers.  The boys GLADLY took their sticks though, and did their jobs for a good 10 minutes.  The girls warned them that the novelty of the "the stick" wears off after the first hour, but I don't think Wayne believe them!  Our area was SPOTLESS when they girls were ready to get back to work.
Wayne started getting tired, so he hitched a ride on Dad for awhile.
Time to perk up, let's go on the carousel!
And then climb 100 feet into the air!  (are you kidding me?)
And Weston's favorite part... slide back down!
Just when I thought the boys were hitting their wall, we found the Discovery Kids tent.  We played with their games and toys for a good 30 minutes while we refreshed and recharged our hot and sweaty bodies by sitting on their chairs in the shade!
Next, I headed over to watch the Beld girls show, and after the little boys both conked out in the stroller, Tyler took Wayne on a few more rides.
We grabbed a quick ice cream cone, and it was time to head for home.
What a fun, fabulous, and memorable day we had!  When we got home, I told Tyler, "I'm surprised with myself, I didn't take that many pictures today, I just enjoyed the moments!"

Then I loaded my pictures, and I had taken 250.



Oh well, maybe next time.

1 comment:

  1. Great pics! Your boys are adorable!! I love how when Wayne had the stick the girl was texting! Isn't that just how it is these days?!?!

    ReplyDelete