Both from my personal experience last night, and then reports I've heard today, here's the lowdown...
* Roads are clear for driving, but traffic is terrible. It took someone 60 minutes to make it to the mall from Lynden.
* It took more than 15 minutes for someone to actually leave the mall, because traffic is so backed up.
* People are frantic. Whether it's the close approximation to Christmas, or the impending 3-15 inches of snow (depending on who's reports you're following) we're supposed to be getting... they have that wild look in their eye. There are reports of cutting, rudeness, and general Grinch like behavior from customers in more than one store.
* Prices are dropping, dropping, dropping. When you go to town, bring your previous purchase receipts with you to get price adjustments on the spot. You need to have them with you, and the stores can only give adjustments if the item is still in stock. Specifically, I've noticed Costco and Walmart dropping their prices on toys and such.
* Dress warmly. It's frigidly cold. It was 15 degrees when I went last night, and despite being bundled in a heavy coat, scarf, and gloves, I was cold to the bone by the time I was done unloading my carts into the Jeep. The skin on my hands also got all prickly, red, and even bled! On a side note, even though our boys have only been out Saturday night for a party (we parked 20 ft. from the door, and ran them in and out) and to Tanya's (parked in her driveway and ran in and out) they both have red, raw cheecks. We are caking on the lotion and boiling water all day long to get some moisture back into the air.
Okay, so now you are prepared for what you will face in the big city. Drive safely, be careful, and for goodness sake.... SPREAD SOME HOLIDAY CHEER!
Hi, glad I went late morning to Bellingham--took Beppe in for her haircut at Plum Hair Salon.. it was busy getting to Costco and at Costco but I was glad to leave--I noticed the Greenhouse already had 25% off their Christmas decorations!! Of,course I resisted--I was shopping downstairs for the 50% off summer and fall decor!!
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update Tanya! I am preparing to brave the mall tomorrow for a few last-minute gifts and necessities.
ReplyDeleteit took us 35 mintues to drive from the boston pizza intersection to the 3-way stop at Kohl's...stupid mall traffic.
ReplyDelete