Monday, December 7, 2009

Christ Fellowship Nursery Letter

I did the letter this quarter, and thought I'd let you all read it. Enjoy!

Whether it’s your first Christmas with your baby, or your second or third; or if you have one child, or many, many more, I pray that this holiday season will be memorable and special for your family, for all the right reasons. Since becoming a mom, I look at the miracle of Christmas so much more closely and I see it through very different eyes. As a non-parent I read the Christmas story and thought, “Good for Joseph and Mary, they followed God and obeyed.” Oh yeah, and “Of course God could sacrifice his only son, he’s God!” But now, I am a parent. And that changes everything. I have three wonderful, feisty and remarkable sons that mean everything to me, and who I would do anything for, sacrifice anything for. When I read the Christmas story with that new perspective, I see it much differently. Mary had to travel while she was 9 months pregnant? Two years ago I was 8 ½ months pregnant with Weston during Christmas, and it was all I could do to make the rounds at our family parties! Travel on foot/donkey to Bethlehem? I think not! I delivered all of our boys in a nice, modern hospital. Mary had no such comforts. And yet the miracle of Christ’s birth still happened, by God’s grace and design. The simplicity and the wonder in that statement makes me catch my breath. Does it make you catch yours? One reason I volunteer in our nursery is for the privilege of seeing life through our kids’ eyes. I love to watch them grow, figure out new things, and find their independence. I love to come to come to our nursery and see that someone has started toddling around and in just the last seven days has learned to walk. During this season, I am going to focus on seeing Christmas through my boys’ eyes. I want to experience the Christmas story as they hear it, and I’m going to ask Wayne what he thinks so I can get his take on it. And Weston… he’s a wonderful reminder to me that Jesus was a normal boy. I bet he was busy at age 2 too! And Wyatt at four months old is a daily reminder to me of how innocent, helpless and precious a new baby is. He relies on me for everything, just as I should rely on my heavenly Father for all of my needs. Wow. I am so privileged and blessed to have these boys as constant reminders. I encourage each of you to take a few minutes to soak up the Christmas story through your child’s eyes. You’ll be blessed for doing so!

2 comments: